Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Laura is Coming!

My post for today goes quite perfectly with today's photo from the 30 day photo challenge.

Day 02 - A picture of you and the person you have been close with for the longest.


This picture is of Laura and I our freshman year at OBU. We were quite the impressive flag football players. Laura and I met in the fifth grade. She is definitely my oldest friend. We went to the same elementary school, junior high, high school, and were even roommates in college for two years. We sat by each other in band, went on numerous trips together, joined a robotics team together, built toothpick bridges for the engineering fair, were in a flute trio together, and a million other things. I love her family. I even went to prom with her twin brother. She is an awesome person. I will readily admit that I had a tough start when it came to college. I chose to go to OBU (Oklahoma Baptist University) and I'm still not sure why... I like to think that God put me there solely to have me experience my first day of college, when I met Art. As for the rest of the painful two years, I made a few very meaningful friends, but I think that's about it. I got burned big time at OBU. Through everything that happened, Laura was there for it all. My time living with her gave me a wonderful appreciation for her. She is truly an example of a woman of God.

One of my favorite Laura memories is something she just told me about a year ago. When we were roommates in college, I decided to test my care-taking skills on a beta fish. Luckily, I was not a mother yet, because I named him Crap Bag and decided that he would be happiest living in a wine glass. (As you can see, I was very mature at the start of college.) One weekend, I left him in Laura's care and made sure to specify that she could not let him die. Wouldn't you know that he picked that weekend to make an escape from his little wine glass home. Laura returned to our room to find him dead on the floor. Of course, she didn't want her fish care-taking questioned, so she went out and bought me a surprisingly similar fish. I didn't know of Crap's death until years later.

Laura got married last May. See, I have the picture to prove it...
Now she lives in Florida with her husband, but TOMORROW SHE IS COMING TO SEE ME!

On a side note, I must mention that I typed this whole post with just one hand, while holding a baby with the other. I am pretty impressed with myself right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment