Thursday, April 21, 2011

Music and Memories

Do you guys have any specific music that takes you back to a certain time in your life?  Almost all my music is like that.  THis is probably because I have a terrible habit of listening to one album for months at a time.  Here are a few examples:

Mika, Life in Cartoon Motion:  This album takes me back to a really, really different time in my life.  The point where I was living the college life... Lots and lots of partying and everything that goes along with it.  Ever time I listen to these songs, I have vivid memories of dancing on tables.  Haha.  Yeah, I was one of those.

The Killers, Hot Fuss:  When I listen to this album, all I think of is sitting on the back porch at the house I lived in at the time.  It had a fantastic back porch, and some of my greatest memories are sitting back there listening to The Killers, painting, and smoking cloves.

The Postal Service, Give Up:  I went to a small Baptist college in Shawnee Oklahoma for my first two years of college.  I was so, so, so depressed going there.  It just wasn't me.  Don't even get me started on what I think of private, church-affiliated colleges.  I spent a lot of time just driving around aimlessly, listening to this CD.  I loved getting lost on my long drives and always hoped I would end up somewhere other than Shawnee.  So, every time I listen to this album, I think of long, long drives and lots of sadness.

And for a REALLY way back in time pick- Reel Big Fish, Cheer Up:  In high school, I loved punk rock and ska.  The high school me makes me laugh a lot.  I was so care-free.  I still listen to this CD, and it still makes me smile.  Sometimes some really old, cheery music is just refreshing, you know?

Music is powerful...  I'm not sure what I would do without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment