Thursday, June 9, 2011

Goodbye


What a freaking awful day.... Really, terrible, to say the least.  We got up early this morning, as usual, because we have a baby, you know.  Then, we took our cat children to the vet to get hair cuts.  Our cats have major freak outs when you get anywhere near them with a razor, so they have to be sedated.  About 2:00, I got the worst call ever.  I saw the vet calling and didn't answer.  I assumed that my cats were ready to be picked up.  As I walked out of Subway, I listened to the message they left me... and had a complete break down.  The message was from our vet, saying that Moo's heart had stopped beating from the anesthesia.  She said that they were putting a breathing tube in him and doing CPR, but I should get there as soon as possible.

A little background.  In 2007, one of my best friends, Levi, found a cat that had a bunch of kittens.  I hated cats and was terrible allergic to them, but I agreed to take a black and white cat because Levi said he had to find a home or he was going to the pound.  Fast forward through four years.  Moo was my best pet friend.  In college, I snuck him into my apartment, where we lived in my one bedroom for a whole year.  He slept next to me every night.  He hid in my closet during room inspections.  He went on car rides with me, because he loved the car.  He made the seven hour ride to Houston with me multiple times, never in a cage, always looking out the window beside me.  He knew I was pregnant before I did, and during my whole pregnancy, he slept at the doorway, staying awake all night, watching to make sure nothing happened.  He always knew when I was lonely.  He hated Art and always made sure to pee on his clothes while missing mine.  After Trae was born and he wasn't able to sleep in our room anymore, he was at the door every morning when I woke up.  I could go on and on.

The vet called Art on our way to the vet to say that they were not able to save Moo.  I still can't wrap my mind around it.  I got up this morning and he was there to greet me.  He begged for food, like always.  I picked him up and took him to the car where he rode in the seat and looked out the window like always... and now he is gone.  No more Moo, ever.  We buried him tonight in Art's parents backyard.

 

I never imagined that losing a pet could hurt so terribly bad.  Needless to say, I am hurting a lot.  I have spent a lot of time crying today... So has my whole family.  I don't think many people have ever seen me so sad, so it's hard for everyone.  Even the vet cried with me.  He just really meant a lot.  I am going to miss him so much.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so so sorry for your loss. Pets are amazing and sounds like he helped you through a lot. I wish I could say something to make you feel better, but I just want you to know that I read this & am thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss, pets hold such a special part of our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless your heart, girl! I can feel your pain. Moo was your "first" baby, I'm sure. I'm so sorry you lost him. He was/is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry, Lindsey. That really sucks. Losing a pet is so hard. I will definitely be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete