Friday, May 6, 2011

Just Some Thoughts...

Hi, friends.  I feel like I have been a little MIA for the last week.  Honestly, I have been completely uninspired when it comes to blogging.  I have been spending a lot of time with Trae, as I should.  When he is sleeping, I have been getting my nerd on by watching documentaries on Netflix instead of blogging.

Today, I watched Babies.  Wow.  Fascinating, really.  Here is what I got from the film.  In America, we are so privileged with so many unnecessary things.  Let me give some background for those who haven't seen it.  The documentary follows four babies throughout their first year of life.  There are no words to the documentary, just film showing how they are developing.  I really didn't pay too much attention to the specific places where these babies were born.  Only one of these babies was born in the US.  The others were born in... I want to say Africa, Japan, and Mongolia.  I think I got that right.  I just couldn't help noticing how different the US birth was than the others.  The baby was born in the hospital.  It was shown being connected to IVs right after birth.  I guess that was the main thing that got me.  I just think it is so unnecessary.  The baby in Africa was born in a village where it grew up naked and rode around on his mother's back while she went about her daily work.  It developed just the same as the US baby.  In fact all of them developed just fine.  We really pamper babies here.  Please don't take that the wrong way.  I am so thankful that we have the technology to do so, but I wonder how much is really necessary.    I LOVED my epidural, but birth would have happened fine (but very painfully) without it.  I'm glad that the hospital was able to monitor Trae, but I think he would have turned out fine without all the heel pricks and newborn checks and what not.  Just thoughts there.  Great documentary.  If you like that kind of stuff, please watch.

In other news, my little Trae is a little bit sick today.  He had his first fever.  Poor guy.  He didn't let it get him down though.  Other than being a little more tired than usual, he was fine.  Of course, I am a worried mama.  I have never had a sick baby before.  It makes it hard having Art gone and trying to figure out if he is okay.  What if he isn't okay and I am here by myself?  I think that is where a mother's instincts come in.  Going back to what I said earlier about the movie, in the US, we are able to take classes before we have a baby and we prepare ourselves by reading up on anything and everything.  I know I did.  But really, I think all women are born with a motherly instinct.  I'm sure without my Google searches today, I would have still known when to worry about a fever.  The way we are made is amazing, you guys.  God did some great thinking when he created humans.  I believe we have far more instincts than we will ever realize because we let technology take care of everything.

And finally, I opened up the mail today to find a Mother's Day gift for me, from Art...
What a great guy.  I have been given strict orders not to wear it until Mother's Day, but until then, I have had a good time looking at it.  How did he know something like this would suit me so well?  Oh, I may or may not email him links of things I find that I love.  I just let his conscious lead him when it comes to what I deserve.  Haha.  I think he did good.  This necklace is handmade and can be found here.

1 comment:

  1. Lindsey, Your comment today blessed me mote than you can imagine. Thank you fir your prayers and kind words, and for sharing your story so freely with me. God Bless You!
    -Kara

    ReplyDelete