Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Birth Story and Such

Oooh my goodness, friends, it has been a long while! I have a legitimate excuse in the form of a wonderful baby boy who has kept me very busy. However, it is time to get back into the swing of things, which also means blogging much, much more often.

Well, where should I begin with my updates? January 25th, I was induced. What an exciting day. I called Art the night before and told him to come home because we were going to have a baby the next day. He was, of course, more than happy to leave the boat and come home to me. We spent the rest of the night playing Wii Fit. I have never played Wii Fit that hard before. I beat all my previous records from the days when I wasn't pregnant. Haha. My hopes were to go into labor naturally, as I was planning on a very natural birth, but no amount of Wii Fitting worked. However, I am still pretty impressed with myself.

We had to be at the hospital at 5:30 AM the next day. I capitalized the AM because that is way too early for my liking. However, we got there, early none-the-less. After four attempts to start an IV in my swollen extremities, we were good to go. I made the nurses promise not to increase my pitocin drip too quickly so the contractions wouldn't get too crazy, but apparently they had a listening problem (or, I am not a doctor so they ignored me) because holy hell.

Now, I didn't know a whole lot about child birth before I got pregnant, so without being too gory or graphic, I will explain a few things. Here is your anatomy lesson. I am sorry for all the weird female words. In order to get a baby out, your uterus has to contract (very hard, might I add) in order to push the baby's head down against the cervix, which in turn has to dilate to ten centimeters before a baby has room to make its way out of you. I'm sure you can figure out the rest. So, this pitocin I spoke of gave me the most awful contractions in the world. I cannot even explain pain like this. Since I was planning on having an un-medicated birth, I gritted my teeth and went with it for the first seven-ish hours. By the last hour, the pitocin was turned up so high, I dilated from a four to a seven in an hour. This shouldn't really happen. In general, it should be about a centimeter an hour. However, like I said, too much medicine, lots of pain, etc...

So, that last painful hour was spent with me crying hysterically... probably more than I have ever cried EVER. I did not know pain could be that terrible. I broke down and got an epidural. I just don't think I could have enjoyed the rest of the birth any other way. Thank you, Jesus... Other than making me a paraplegic who was unable to move any part of the lower half of my body, it was nice. The next five hours went by somewhat smoothly. Then it was finally time to push.

One thing I learned about nurses in labor and delivery is that they are not overly encouraging. The nurse came in and said that it would take me an hour and a half to three hours to push the baby out, since it was my first time and I had an epidural. Being myself, who had promised I would not push for longer than thirty minutes, I was determined to prove her wrong. Twenty minutes later, Trae was here. Take that, nurse.

Recovery was awful. In fact, it was probably worse than being pregnant for all that time. It made me think that the whole childbirth process, although miraculous, is over-rated. Adopt your babies, friends! All that being said, Trae is wonderful and so perfect. 6 pounds, 12 ounces of tiny goodness. Here he is!

No comments:

Post a Comment